Chuck Dressler offered a warming chili recipe from Pillsbury’s Fast and Healthy magazine (January/February 1997) for cold, January evenings. And he ends with his signature “As always, enjoy the cookin’ and then the eatin’!”
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans kidney beans, undrained (You can also use chili or pinto beans.)
- 2 (14.5 or 16-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 ½ teaspoons chili powder (If this sounds like a lot of chili powder, it’s because this is a lot of chili powder. Delete (or add ) as your spice factor permits.
- 1 (11.5-ounce) can (1½ cups) tomato juice (I use V8)
- 1 cup frozen corn
In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients and mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until carrots are tender. Serve with a garnish of shredded cheese and raw onion (optional). Makes 6 (1½ -cup) servings.